Posted by Kelly Riccetti
...this painting started as a mild-mannered watercolor. It was minding its own business and was behaving itself too, but it was a little boring, so I took pen & ink to it (outlining and stippling)...and then rubbed charcoal over it! As if that wasn't enough, I then scanned the painting and ran the file through a quick PhotoShop filter to come up with this "tough bird." The bird we saw in September wasn't quite as colorful as this bird because it was molting into its non-breeding plumage, but I decided if you're going to paint a Chestnut-sided Warbler you might as well put him in his springtime best, especially if he's a tough bird!
...sketchbook drawing for the previous painting.
...again, I started with a normal watercolor, but this time while the paint was wet, I sprinkled in salt to create the mottled background...then outlined and stippled with ink...added a course rub with charcoal...and topped it off by running it through a PhotoShop filter. This was the first time I ever used a PhotoShop filter on a painting. I like the result. (If you want to try putting charcoal over a painting, use a rough watercolor paper that has a lot of tooth and go lightly.)
...sketchbook drawing for the previous painting. I drew this guy in the hotel the evening Robert hit #400 (we were at the Midwest Birding Symposium). I used a photo from a post I did back in 2009 for my reference.
...an oil pastel over a quick watercolor painting (this is my favorite--I always love grungy oil pastels with lots of pigment). No practice sketch with this one. I just "winged" it...I always wing my oil pastels!